M.Sc. In Psychiatric Nursing
Master in Psychiatric Nursing is the specialty of nursing course in post-graduate degree with duration of 2 years. Students studying this course deals with care of people of all ages with mental illness or mental distress like; schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, psychosis, depression or dementia. This course is focused on clinical practice in the areas where mental health service is provided. Candidates in this category get the opportunity to study issues and topics of particular interest such as binary diagnosis, psycho-social and psycho-educational interventions, mental health care for the most senior citizens, illness management and recovery and mental health in primary care. Psychiatric Nurses will have the academic foundation preparation for the facility of the advanced knowledge and skills in clinical practices and academic administration with the depth target in one of the streams.
Master in Psychiatric Nursing is one of the complicated nursing studies because it deals with the human brain through which the whole human body functions. Thus, these nurses should combine the knowledge with research methodology to critically analyze the current practices in the contribution of the delivery of innovative services and policy development. These nurses can also serve as teachers, mentors and the role models to promote excellence among the students and practitioners. After the completion of their study Psychiatric nurses will be able to demonstrate the ability to engage in the reflective practices, anticipate and respond to the emerging health and mental health needs of the people and also engage in the independent practice while undertaking the doctoral study in this field.
- The candidate must be below the age of 48.
- The candidate must be physically and mentally fit.
- Candidate should have good understanding of English language.
The overall qualification is very important before the admission procedure of Masters in Psychiatric Nursing course study. Further requirements are:
- B.Sc. Nursing or any equivalent degree with minimum 50% marks and entrance test at the time of admission.
The students must follow the given process if he/she is willing to study M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing course. The process in getting enrolled may differ in different colleges. The conditions to be met are:
- Fill the required applications forms.
- Give the entrance examination, if included.
- Provide 8 copies of passport size photographs.
- All the details and documents prior to study must be submitted.
- Fee payment after the clearance of Entrance exam.
- Nursing Education
- Advanced Nursing Practice
- Nursing Research and Statistics
- Clinical Specialty-I
- Psychiatry Nursing
- Nursing Management
- Nursing Research (Dissertation)
- Clinical Specialty-II
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Psychiatry Nursing
There are few high level studies after post-graduation in Master of Science in Pediatric Nursing. They are:
- M Phil or PhD Science in Nursing.
- M Phil or PhD in Obstetrics and Gynecology Nursing.
- M Phil or PhD in Medical Surgical Nursing.
- M Phil or PhD in Psychiatric Nursing.
- M Phil or PhD of Philosophy in Nursing.
- M Phil or PhD in Pediatric Nursing
- Colleges & Universities
- Nursing Homes
- Mental Health Care Centers
- Government Hospitals
- Military Services
- Medical Labs etc.
- Psychiatric Nurse
- Junior Occupational Therapist
- Clinical Psychologist
- Associate Professor
- Nursing Educator.
M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing Colleges in Bangalore
Some of the colleges in Bangalore that provide this course are given below:
- Manipal College of Nursing.
- Vydehi College of Nursing.
- Fortis Institute of Nursing.
- RajaRajeshwari College of Nursing.
- M.S Ramaiah Institute of Nursing.
- Dayananda Sagar College of Nursing.
- Narayana Hrudayalaya College of Nursing, etc.
These colleges provide all the necessary practical and theoretical programs in accordance with the course of Psychiatric Nursing in masters. Bangalore being the most populated and famous city for nursing courses is a circle of new opportunities for the students. Students can learn many more in practical of these courses as there are many hospitals and Nursing homes having so many patients with different diseases. The laboratory practices in these hospitals will benefit the students in many ways as they get to learn and practice new advance ideas in curing these diseases.