Post Basic Diploma In Critical Care Nursing
Critical Care Nursing also referred as ICU Nursing, is a type of nursing that provides care to the patients that are in critical conditions. The nurses of this category may care for adults and children recovering from serious medical problems including illness and injuries. Some of the critical care nurses also work in the wards or units in taking care of those patients with specific medical problems such as critical care burn units, etc. These nurses are some of the most demanded nurses in nursing field and work for very long hours and in stressful and sterile environment which also make this career as extremely challenging both physically and emotionally. The nurses in this setting must be very hard working and special in term to be a successful critical care nurse. The kind of talent these nurses should have does not only require education and training but also have excellent communication skills and in the mean time should have the ability to assess patients make quick decisions.
Critical Care Nursing as a career can also be defined as a very sensitive, exhausting and heart distorting profession. These nurses often have to face the harsh reality of losing patients in their hand every now and then thus these nurses have to be very strong hearted and should have the ability to control their emotions. Talking about the work these nurses do, it’s not quite different than the work done by traditional staff nurses and emergency nurses. These nurses provide much of a basic care for critical patients and assist physicians and specialists with monitoring and treating these patients. Monitoring the critical patients is the main responsibility of these nurses and since the patients are often in the edge these nurses have to record the data about vital signs, blood and oxygen levels at most several time in an hour. Even though the work is accomplished by the monitoring equipment alongside the bed but any change that occurs might be good or bad should be promptly reported to the related physicians or charged nurses for the timely treatments of the patient according to their recovery or decline. These nurses should be practically ready with number of skilled life saving techniques such as, cardiopulmonary resuscitation and know how to use life saving equipments such as defibrillators in case of emergencies. While communication is the most important for these nurses they should be able to communicate during the difficult times and be prepared to explain medical procedure, treatments, update the patient’s conditions and even inform them of the worst situations.
There are certain conditions given to the students if they are willing to study Post Basic in Critical Care Nursing course. Some of the eligibility criteria to know before getting enrolled in this course are:
- Age limit is 17-35 years.
- Candidates must be mentally fit.
- Should have good fluency and understanding of English language.
The nursing school needs the education qualification for providing admission in Post Basic in Critical Care Nursing course. Mainly candidates from science educational background are accepted in many of the colleges but if students from the different course are interested they are also given chance. Some of the educational qualifications to have before studying the Post Basic in Critical Care Nursing course are:
- Should have completed +2 or ANM/GNM course with good marks.
There are many processes that candidates must follow if s/he is willing to study the Post Basic in Critical Care Nursing course. There also might be some legal formalities that should be completed before one can get admitted. The procedures of getting enrolled in different college might be slightly dissimilar as the rules might vary. Some of the normal admission process to be followed for enrolling in Post Basic in Critical Care Nursing course is:
- Fill the required application forms.
- Attend entrance exam if necessary.
- Provide eight copies of passport size photographs.
- All the details documents related to prior study.
- Fees payment after the clearance of entrance exam.
- Advanced Intensive Care
- Hemodynamic Monitoring
- Critical Bleeding and Massive Blood Transfusion
- Intensive Care Management of the Trauma Management
- Intensive Care of Patients with Multi system Alterations
- Intensive Care Management of Patients Post Cardiovascular Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery/Intra-Aortic Balloon Counter Pulsation
- Intensive Care Management of Patients with Neurological Disorders
- Brain Death, Organ Donation and Caring for Bereaved Families
- Intensive Care of Patients in Renal Failure
- Care of Patients with Haematological and Oncological Emergencies
- Intensive Care of Patients with Endocrine Disorders
- Intensive Care of Patients with Texicology Disorders
- Intensive Care of Patients with Thermal Injuries and Disorders
- Burns trauma
- Intensive Care of Patients with Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Clinical Skills.
- B.Sc. Nursing
- M.Sc. in Nursing.
- M Phil or PhD in Nursing.
- Health Care Centres
- Colleges/ Universities
- Home Care.
- Ward Nurse
- Critical Care Nurse
- Head Nurses
- Nurse Managers